Fibromyalgia as a condition does not have a known origin. It presents itself as a generalized muscle pain throughout the body and areas that become hypersensitive to pressure at specific points, called ‘Tender points’, mainly in the neck, shoulders, back, hip, arms and legs. Until recently, doctors believed that patients imagined the pain because it has no physical symptoms that can be identified. However, in recent years it started to be treated as a condition thanks to various studies that proved it to be of neurological origin. Today, we will talk about one of the most common and dangerous symptoms of this condition: Fibro Fog.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, better known as Fibro Fog or Brain Fog, is a consequence of Fibromyalgia that that causes confusion, lack of concentration and memory problems that basically makes your head feel “blurred” (It’s because of this that it has the name of Fibro Fog). Some doctors consider it to be triggered by other fibromyalgia symptoms such as difficulty in resting and sleeping well (after about 3 months or so), depression and abnormal volume of blood flow to the brain. Although, there are no studies that support this theory and the causes remain in debate.
Fibro Fog can manifest in different ways varying from person to person, with the most common being:
• Memory loss
• Lack of concentration
• Difficulty resolving mathematical problems
• Loss of everyday objects
• Problems of expression and communication
• Inability to retain new information
In addition, these symptoms are significantly worsened by lack of sleep, stress, depression, nervousness, poor diet, and mental or physical fatigue.
Although fibromyalgia and Fibro Fog do not have a definitive cure, its treatments can greatly improve the health of the patients and reduce the symptoms related to these conditions. The most common treated aspects are:
• Pain management
• Stress management
• Weight excess
• Physical and cognitive problems
Now, let us talk about the different options in homemade treatments to clear a little of the Fibro Fog from the brain and make life a little easier:
1. Cognitive games: Of these, there are different types, from classic traditional board games like Puzzle, Chess, Go, and even Memory. You can also work with the digital puzzle games, of which there are many options in both PC and mobile devices (Tetris or Brain Training, to give some examples).
2. Writing things down: This will help keep you organized and have a place where you can check when you forget something. It will also help you create an information retention process.
3. Avoid distractions: Avoid having distracting agents when you need concentration: turn off the TV, do not check the phone, turn off the music, etc. Dedicate yourself exclusively to the task you are performing.
4. Do light exercises: Nothing better to clear the mind than a little exercise. It does not have to be heavy like a daily sports practice or running every day. Low impact exercise is ideal, like going for a brisk walk, jogging or swimming small distances in a pool are good choices and even Yoga is a good option.
5. Small mathematical exercises: If you find two numbers try to add, subtract or multiply them to improve your cognitive abilities.
6. Reading: This is a good way to keep your mind busy and working. Choose something you like so it is not a task but something to enjoy. Read for at least half an hour every day.
The best recommendation if you think you have Fibromyalgia or Fibro Fog is to consult your doctor for a more accurate diagnosis and, if you do have, work with your habits to improve your lifestyle and a clear your mind.